With all of the options available to homeschool parents these days, it can be difficult to know what the best curriculum avenue is for teaching history in the Getting Excited stage (2nd – 4th grade). Here are some tips to help you determine the best choices for your child.
Tips for the Getting Excited Stage
In this stage, move from a wide open introduction to a more focused approach to history.
- Explore cultures through missions support. Learn about current missionaries. Read missionary biographies. Pray through updates from various missionary organizations or use books that guide you through praying for unreached people groups or cultures.
- Continue age-appropriate map studies.
- Continue adding to your timeline, using information from your history, reader, and read-aloud books.
- Instead of learning facts and dates, continue the cultural focus begun in the early learning years. Explore how people lived, their religious beliefs, inventions and discoveries from each group, building styles, and how these cultures interacted with one another.
- This is a great time to explore how biblical history fits in with extra-biblical world history.