As our kids head into the last few years of high school, many of us begin to think about college, the college admissions process, how to help our kids stand out, and the scholarships that will make college expenses more affordable. And all too often we realize too late that there are easy-to-implement strategies that are proven to make students more appealing to college and university admissions officers.
One of the growing trends is dual enrollment. An option that has been setting Bridgeway Academy homeschoolers apart since 2006 has now become essential for high school students seeking acceptance to their college of choice.
Why Dual Enrollment?
Here’s why dual enrollment is a must for all college-bound high school students:
- Dual-enrollment classes enable high school students to take college-level classes to fulfill high school credits and get a jump start on college general education requirements.
- Dual enrollment gives homeschoolers an idea of what full-time college coursework will be like. And by taking advantage of an online dual-enrollment program, your location doesn’t matter. Your student can get used to the academic rigors of college classes before he or she leaves the comfort and support of home.
- Dual enrollment provides classes that your student may not have access to with traditional homeschool programs.
- Dual enrollment allows your student the opportunity to explore his or her areas of academic interest. If your child loves history, focusing on a course like World War II or The Great Depression will give her the opportunity to explore history in greater depth than a high school course often provides.
- Dual enrollment can also help students narrow down their preferred major. My daughter was certain that she was going to be a theatre- and performing-arts major. But after a few dual-enrollment courses, she realized that was not what she was looking for after all. A decision that likely saved us quite a bit of money!
- Recent studies also indicate that students who participate in dual-enrollment programs are more likely go on to get a college degree—giving you more value for your investment.
- Perhaps the biggest benefit of dual enrollment is the savings! Dual-enrollment courses are often priced much lower than the cost of direct enrollment in college. Combine that with the fact that you are also fulfilling high school credits with the same course, and your tuition payment just did double duty!
While dual enrollment saves you time and money and helps lay a great foundation for college, not all programs can guarantee college credit. Bridgeway Academy can! Our ACE-approved dual-enrollment courses guarantee your child college credit at over 1800 colleges and universities. And, in 2015, our College Now Dual Enrollment is our best value ever! With newly negotiated rates per course, students can now take one three-credit college course for just $475, which will also count as a full high school credit. Earning credits and saving money has never been easier or more rewarding!